Notes on St. James’ Parish Church
St. James Anglican Church stands on the oldest piece of consecrated land on the island, historically referred to as "God's Holy Acre".
The first settlers landed on February 17, 1627 at what is today called Holetown and the settlement there increased rapidly. A place of worship was needed and a wooden church was erected between 1628 and 1629 on the site consecrated as “God’s Holy Acre,” a location adjacent to the growing settlement of Holetown. This wooden building was replaced by a local coral-stone structure in the early 1680's and a large portion of that original building in still in use today.