Notes on St. James’ Parish Church
The present walls and columns are made of local limestone which was mined on the island. Following the initial wooden structure’s deterioration and destruction by at least two major hurricanes, the limestone structure was built at the present location in 1682. During the more than 200 years of its existence, the structure was renovated extensively during the mid-19th century and was extended to include the area which now represents the Chancel. Tradition suggests that some of the original walls were retained during the building’s renovation and remain as part of the church today.